Victory at last

Victory at last

What did I tell you ? The moment the last lesson of the Technicolor Galaxy was posted I attacked it ferociously and didn’t stop until I finished it.

There was a lot of trimming, 49 blocks, to be exact, had to be trimmed to perfection. Then there was the binding, straight binding for the borders and bias binding for the curved blocks. This was the first time for me making continuous bias binding by myself and it was pretty impressive. If you have tried it before, you know what I am talking about.

Then came the critical point. The delicate moment when you have this piece:

Galaxy part 1

and this other piece:

Galaxy part 2

and you nearly die of a heart attack because the inside circle looks smaller than the opening. Luckily by pulling here and there I managed to make it all fit somehow.

And then it’s all done and all that is left is hand-stitch the binding while admiring your work. I was surprised at how big the quilt was, even though I should have known the dimensions well. I thought once trimmed it’d be smaller… now I need to figure out where it’s going to live, because my bedroom wall might be too small.

And the final pictures. Front:

Galaxy finished1

Back:

Galaxy finished back 1

Close-up detail:

Galaxy detail

And my photo helpers:

Galaxy helpers

This was such a fun quilt to make; I highly recommend it.